Journey Autism & Behavioral Care Centers provides ABA therapy services to children, adolescents, and adults with autism and other intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDDs). As most of our clients are children, there’s a huge focus on involving the whole family in the services and programs we offer to help with learning difficulties.
One ABA therapy strategy that significantly helps in learning is task analysis. When complex tasks and behaviors are involved, task analysis in ABA therapy breaks them into sequences of smaller actions or steps. Helping children with autism understand all of these smaller steps involved in complex tasks can assist them in learning how to do them and can help in identifying steps that may need extra instruction. If you’re looking to try task analysis in ABA therapy, contact Journey Autism & Behavioral Care Centers today. Call 844.222.4513 or reach out to our team online.
What Is ABA Therapy?
Applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy is based on the science of learning as it relates to behavior. ABA therapy helps clients and therapists understand how behaviors work, how behaviors are affected by the environment, and how effective learning can take place. It also applies that understanding to real situations the client may often encounter. The goal of ABA therapy is to increase helpful behaviors and decrease harmful behaviors in terms of learning situations.
ABA therapy programs can help:
- Improve attention, memory, focus, social skills, and even academic performance
- Improve language and communication skills
- Lessen the incidence of problem behaviors
Programs like this have been used to help children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other IDDs since the 1960s. However, ABA therapy programs must be customized for each client. There is no universal ABA therapy program that will help every client learn at the same pace or intensity. The goal of any customized ABA therapy program is to help a client work on capabilities and skills that will help them become more independent and successful.
What Is Task Analysis in ABA Therapy?
Task analysis is a teaching process that breaks down complex activities into a series of simple steps that clients can take in and learn more easily.
Research shows that task analysis in ABA therapy meets the criteria for evidence-based practice by improving the adoption of appropriate communication skills and other behaviors by children in preschool, elementary school, and middle school. Task analysis techniques fall into two categories:
- Separating complex activities into smaller tasks that can eventually be chained together: This involves breaking the desired skill into discrete steps that are then learned by the client to perform in sequence. The steps are linked via chaining, which signals the completion of each discrete step as a cue to begin the following step.
- Separating complex activities into short chunks of time that may be done in any sequence: This involves breaking the desired skill into smaller chunks of time—for instance, a 20-minute activity may be broken into five four-minute segments. The client then learns to shape this complex activity using the segments of time they learn to do. The act of shaping reinforces successive approximations of the behavior rather than repeating previous approximations.
Three characteristics are vital to the success of task analysis as a teaching method: consistency, individualization, and systematic instruction.
What Are the Benefits of Task Analysis in Autism Therapy?
The goal of task analysis in autism therapy depends largely on the client’s needs. However, task analysis in ABA therapy often results in clients:
- Communicating with other people more effectively
- Having fewer tantrums or other outbursts
- Having more focus at school
- Learning to ask for things they want clearly and specifically
- Reducing or stopping self-harming behaviors
- Showing more interest in people around them
Reach Out to More About Journey Autism & Behavioral Care Centers Today
Are you interested in trying task analysis in ABA therapy? Contact Journey Autism & Behavioral Care Centers today by calling 844.222.4513 or reaching out to our team online.